Mary Mason Lyon

by Dana from South Hadley

"Go forward. Attempt great things. Accomplish great things."
Mary Lyon
Mary Lyon (Mt. Holyoke College)
Mary Lyon (Mt. Holyoke College)

Mary Lyon is my hero because she created a school that both challenges and supports women.

Mary Mason Lyon was born February 28th 1797, and is known for pioneering women's education in the United States. Lyon an educator and chemist founded Mount Holyoke College and Wheaton College as the first all women's seminaries devoted to empowering young women and creating leaders amongst a men's world. As the president of Mount Holyoke College she created an oasis of knowledge for all women and broke through boundaries of socioeconomic politics, unlike colleges at that time. Her infamous quote "go where no one else will go, do what no one else will do", has inspired thousands of women to use the power of knowledge to achieve their goals.

I attended a different college before coming to Mount Holyoke. At my previous school, the students lacked an appreciation for academics, self-motivation to become leaders in the outside world, and were more concerned with Friday night gossip, than participating in class and getting involved with the school's community. While some professors seemed uninterested in their curriculum I was fortunate enough to come across one woman who had attended Mount Holyoke for her undergraduate degree. Her course on class and racial divides in America was so inspiring I began to follow my passion for sociology and find a school that better suited my interests.

Mary Lyon (Mt. Holyoke College)
Mary Lyon (Mt. Holyoke College)

After months of searching and looking at numerous schools, I applied and was accepted to Mount Holyoke College. I found it to be a community filled with women who want to engage in every aspect the school has to offer. Whether it is athletics, academics, community service or the personal aspirations and passions, I knew I found the place for me.

Mary Lyon is my hero because without her vision and will power I would not have been able to attend Mount Holyoke College. This school that has become a second home filled with inspiring professors and peers that encourage me to learn beyond the superficial and challenge me intellectually and emotionally everyday. The women I have befriended will be in my life forever, and the knowledge and critical thinking skills I have received from my professors will help me succeed in life after college and beyond.

TO learn more about Mary Lyon and Mount Holyoke, please follow this link http://www.mtholyoke.edu/marylyon/