Magda Domingeiz

by Michelle from Austin

Magda and Michelle
Magda and Michelle

My definition of a hero is a person who believes in herself, shows loyalty, and is trustworthy. My hero is all of these things, but she has also done something else for me…she saved my life.

My mother, father, Magda and I were going to my house in New Mexico for a week. Magda was just a housekeeper we had met through the grapevine. But what we didn’t know was that she was going to be with us for every minute she could put up with us.

One day Magda realized that there was a fire on the chimney in our house, so she ran into my parent’s room and said, “Fuego, fuego!” to my mother. My mom didn’t know that “fuego” meant fire, so she just rolled her eyes and went back to reading her magazine. Magda then went to my dad and said the same thing, “Fuego, fuego!” My dad rolled his eyes and went back to his book as well. Magda decided then that she should try to throw buckets of water from the porch on the second story up to the fire. After doing that for about ten minutes, she decided she needed help so she called 911. Once the firemen came, my parents finally realized that there was a fire so they ran to get me, but Magda already had me and was halfway down the stairs. My parents quickly followed. When we got out the front door we ran to the car and drove one block away. Thankfully, my home didn’t burn down because of my hero, Magda.

Magda has taught me another thing—to have faith, God is always with you. All you have to do is ask and God will help you. From this second story you’re about to read I hope you realize that you should never forget the person who brought you into your life—God. I came home from school one afternoon to hear Magda crying. When I came into her room she was kneeling down in prayer. I asked her what was wrong, but she just held up her fingers as if to say, “Wait for a minute.” Once she finished praying, she grabbed two packed bags and a Bible. Then she went downstairs and got her paycheck from my mom. A moment later she went out the door and didn’t return for two weeks. She didn’t call once during those two weeks, and she didn’t send me a letter either. When she returned, she went up to her room and unpacked. Then she went to sleep and didn’t wake up for two days. (Really!) Once she woke I asked her what had happened. She said her dad had died but not to worry, that she was going to be okay. I asked her if she missed him, and she said she did and would always miss him. She is my hero because she dealt with a very hard thing—losing her father.

A bonus to having Magda with me is that she taught me Spanish. She does not speak a word of English and she wanted to communicate with me so she taught me Spanish. An interesting fact is that the third word I ever spoke was “por favor.” That means “please” in Spanish.

As you can see, Magda is a true hero. She shows loyalty, bravery, and trust. She is my hero because of that. Magda has become like family to me and I love her more than you can imagine.

Fire Safety for Kids - This site tell facts about fire history and safety.