Mia Hamn

by MacKenzie from Wheeling

Mia Hamm (http://www.flickr.com/photos/moralesdirect/509570083/)

Mia Hamn was a legend in soccer whose leadership never ended till the last minute. She never quit and will love soccer till her last breath. Mia Hamn is an inspiration to me because her love for soccer is why I play soccer. If Mia Hamn wasn't such a success some soccer players might not have become players. No matter what, Mia Hamn is my hero till the last day.

Mia Hamn's father was an air force pilot and she also had a brother named Garrett. Hamn's full name was Mariel Margret Hamm and she was born in Selma, Alabama on March 7, 1992. She went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Some of her teammates were Michelle Akers, Brandi Chastain, and Kristine Lilly who is still playing soccer today! Hamn won many medals including MVP of Women's cup, won the gold medal in 1996 and 2004 Summer Olympics, named USA female athlete of the year five years in a row, and was named Fifa World Player of the year in 2001 and 2002. After the obstacle of her brother Garrett dying in 1996 she forced herself to remember the brother who encouraged her to always try harder and practice hard.

Later in life Mia Hamm married Christian Corry, but after seven years something went wrong and she divorced him. After a while she married Norman Garciaparra and started a family. She was not only a leader of the soccer field, but also the leader of the house. Even Norman could not be any more of a leader than she was, but on the soccer field all those years of encouraging, loving, and leading a team add up to something. When I watched her play soccer she inspired me to play soccer and try harder. Mia Hamn never stopped trying to score. Mia Hamn was fair, a leader, and one of the most encouraging and loving soccer player on Earth. Mia Hamn was the most amazing women's soccer player ever!