Maja Vidmar

by Nejc from Duplje, Slovenia

My hero Maja Vidmar

I will describe Maja Vidmar. She is a Slovenian climber. I am going to describe her because I really like her and of course because she is my hero.

Maja Vidmar was born on 30 December 1985 in Kranj (a small city near the town I live in). She started climbing in primary school. When she was fifteen years old, she became a European youth champion. Two years later she started climbing for the national Slovenian youth team and soon she won a second place on a race in Aprica. From that point her career has gone only up. She won several more races and she has been on a podium a lot of times. In years 2003 to 2005 she was getting some important experiences and in year 2005 she won the first race in the world cup. In that year she stood on the podium for several more times. In that year she was second in overall of the world cup. In season 2006 she won the third place on the European championship. The next year was really great for her. She didn't start well in this year, but after the win in the Chamonix she won 6 more races in a row, which got her the first place in the overall world cup in 2007. In 2007 she became really famous in Slovenia. She was even named for the second best sportsman in our country. She also won the lasportiva competition. Her expectations for the upcoming season were - like we can imagine - just really big. She was thinking about winning the overall world cup again, but something really unexpected happened. During a training she broke her finger so she couldn't climb for 3 months which meant that her career for this year was over. But she was lucky and after 3 months she started climbing again. She won the European Championship and several races for the world cup which meant that she was second in the overall.

Now something about her right now: She is 162 centimetres high and weighs 47 kilos. She is employed in Slovenian the army force. She lives in Skofja Loka. She climbs a lot and doesn't have too much time for other things. She hopes that her life won't change for some time because she has quite some more dreams to make true. Her most important wins: 2006 - 3. place European Championship Ekaterinburg 2008 - 2. place European Championship Pariz - 2. place World cup 2009 - 3. place World Championship Xining - 1. place World Games Koashing