Martin Luther King Jr.

by Alex

Martin Luther King thinking of the future (http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1947904_2013420,00.html (FLIP SCHULKE / CORBIS))

Martin Luther King, Jr. worked to lead black people to have more freedom in our country.  He gave a speech in Washington D.C. about having equality between black people and white people. He also kept protesting and leading marches.  He let people know that he wasn't going to stop protesting and working to help black people get equal rights.  The three characteristics I chose for him were courage, vision, and leadership.   These are some of the reasons that will show why Martin Luther King was a hero.  

Courage was one of Martin's traits.  He led marches to help other blacks.  He protested for the rights of black people and poor people even though he was thrown in jail several times.  He wanted to change the laws in the South that did not allow black people into "for whites only" schools and other places.  He went to Memphis to help lead the sanitation workers in a protest against unfair wages and working conditions.  Once, white people who hated him for what he was doing burned down his family's home.   His life was always in danger but he kept fighting for civil rights.

Martin Luther King was a visionary as well.  He saw the way for equality between blacks and whites. He served on a national board to help black people get their civil rights.  He won the Nobel Peace Prize for his hard work for equality between the races.  He was also appointed the pastor of the Dexter Avenue.  In 1960 Martin Luther King was gaining the national notoriety.  

Finally, Martin was a strong leader and his words inspired many people to follow him and help him with the civil rights movement.  He led the huge civil rights march on Washington DC on August 28, 1963.  He fought against black poverty.  He knew that black people were poor because they could not have the same kinds of jobs as white people did. Those are some of the things he did that demonstrate that he was a leader.

Martin Luther King Jr. allowed many blacks to have the same rights as whites.  When he was killed, the President of the United States called it a national day of mourning because Martin died a hero.  After his death, the terrible times for blacks started to come to an end.  Laws were changed, and then there were no more signs saying "colored," and blacks and whites were less separated.  If Martin had not worked for all these things, they may not have changed even today.  Now in our country, we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on the third Monday in January each year.  Businesses, shops, schools, banks, and government offices close in honor of Martin.  Our country stands tall saying we are not a racist country anymore.  I find Martin Luther King a fascinating man.  He is my hero.