Meredith Nelle Herndon

by Madison from Georgia

"It is the little things in life that make me feel like the most special girl in the world !"
My Sister and I! (left to right)
My Sister and I! (left to right)

My hero is my sister, Meredith, who provides joy and love that can never be replaced. She is in a wheelchair, and she cannot participate in sports, or talk like we do. If you ever met her though, you couldn’t tell she was disabled. Her spirit and smile make you want to smile and give her a big hug. She is eighteen years old, she lives with my family and me, and she loves going different places with friends and family. She loves shopping, going to the movies, going to school, riding the bus, and spending time with friends and family. She has so many great qualities, and she loves everyone, no matter who they are. She has taught me no matter how tough times are, to always live life to the fullest.

My sister has done many heroic things. For example, she has taught me to always, no matter what is happening, look on the bright side of everything. She is always smiling, no matter what. Another example is she has taught me to love and care for people, because they will only be around for so long. She is always giving out big smiles and hugs, and she gives you her hand to hold. Another example is she has taught me to admire the little things in small packages, because they are worth the most. She has also taught me not to fear, because if you are happy, there is nothing to fear. My sister has wonderful heroic qualities, such as love, compassion, peace, perseverance, friendship, courage, bravery, and being proud of herself and others. Our love for being alive can never compare to Meredith’s love for being alive. She always lives life to the fullest, every day in every way.

My sister’s characteristics and actions are at the same time very similar and very different from the qualities that the ancient Greeks admired in their heroes. She is similar to them because she is very strong, smart, and compassionate. She may not be strong physically, but her powerful and strong mind is stronger than any human could ever be. She is different from them because she is not physically strong or greedy, and she never gets mad at people. My sister is the most inspiring person I know. That’s why I chose my sister, Meredith, as my hero.