Laura Bush

by Ariana from Bentonville

<a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Mrsbush-20060206.jpg>Laura Bush</a>
Laura Bush

My hero is someone we all know, someone many of us love. We know her well from T.V. commercials asking us to help children. You can also see her standing next to President Bush. Yes, my hero is First Lady Laura Bush. The current first lady was born November 4, 1946, to Harold Bruce Welsh and Jenna Louise in Midland, Texas. Laura Bush fits many of the qualifications for my idea of a hero. She is caring, kind, dedicated to the safety of others and she stands up for what she believes in.

While she was the First Lady of Texas, she worked for women's and children's causes, establishing the Adopt-A-Caseworker Program and the Rainbow Room program. She also focused on literacy and libraries, and established the First Lady's Family Literacy Initiative, which encouraged families to read together.

As First Lady of the United States, Laura Bush has worked on education issues and women's health issues, and she launched the first National Book Festival. In November 2001, she became the first person other than a president to deliver the weekly presidential radio address. She used the opportunity to discuss the plight of women in Afghanistan during the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, saying, "The brutal oppression of women is a central goal of the terrorists."

Laura Bush is my hero for several reasons. She is caring; she has appeared on several commercials. She also stands up for what she believes in. She stood up for the women in Jordan, saying they should have more freedom. She also shows respect no matter what. In Jerusalem, when visiting the Dome of the Rock, she took off her shoes which was a sign of respect. So, all in all, I believe Laura Bush is my hero and a great choice for a role model.

Laura Bush - From the White House
Rainbow Room Program
Adopt-A-Caseworker Program
United Nations Literacy Decade - Laura Bush serves as honorary ambassador for the United Nations Decade of Literacy.
Laura Bush Foundation - For America's Libraries