Lawrence Taylor

by Ryan from Quakertown, New Jersey, United States

''I was just trying to get to the quarterback."
getting ready to make a play
getting ready to make a play

My hero is Lawrence Taylor. Lawrence Taylor is my favorite football player, and inspired me to take things seriously in life. Lawrence Taylor changed the game of football, and inspired a lot of younger football players. Lawrence Taylor played for the New York Football Giants back in the 1980s and early 1990s. Lawrence Taylor was part of the greatest defense in football. His position was outside linebacker, and he was joined along on the defense with Carl Banks, Harry Carson, Pepper Johnson, George Martin, and Gary Reasons. Lawrence Taylor shadowed the Quarterback, which meant forcing the Quarterback to throw a bad pass.

dropping back to intercept a pass
dropping back to intercept a pass

The qualities I look for in a hero are taking challenges, and doing more to inspire people. A hero should not be afraid to do more because if they want to do something big, they should be psyched or ready to do it. A hero should always be there for a person if they had a bad day or are disappointed, the hero should always be there for that person.

wants to make the tackle
wants to make the tackle

Lawrence Taylor showed these qualities because he was so great at football. He went to two Super Bowls with the Giants and in the 1986 season, the Giants first Super Bowl season, Lawrence Taylor had 20 and half sacks on defense. He got the MVP award for the whole season! I love great football players and Lawrence Taylor was such a great player. On a bad day for the Giants, everyone might be having a bad day, but not Lawrence Taylor. Lawrence Taylor could always prove he was better than the person on the other side of the ball. Lawrence Taylor could do everything, whether it was intercepting a pass, getting a sack, making a huge tackle in the backfield, or making a big stop at the goal line.

I think Lawrence Taylor showed off his talent a lot in the Giants' first Super Bowl where he was part of one of the biggest stops at the goal line. Lawrence Taylor made the first stop, and then the other two stops were by Carl Banks and Harry Carson. The Giants lost their first game of the season when the Giants were facing the Cowboys. The Cowboys' running back ran right past Lawrence Taylor for the winning score. Lawrence Taylor was tired when that play happened, and the Giants lost the game 31-28. After that game, Lawrence Taylor had the best season a linebaker could have. Randall Cunningham was the Eagles quarterback, and he ran in the open field a lot where other quarterbacks did not run. A lot of defenders had a really hard time bringing Randall Cunningham down, but not Lawrence Taylor. Lawrence played the game really smart, and could wrap up, and form tackle Randall Cunningham. That was the thing that made Lawrence Taylor so great. I will always remember Lawrence Taylor until I pass on.

The Official Site of the Giants - This Website can tell you updates about the Giants football organization
Wikipedia - This Website can get you a lot of information about my hero and tells you a lot of stats about him.
The Official Site of the National Football League - This Website tells you about the league and also tells you about Hall of Fame players like my hero.