Leticia De Santiago

by Melissa from Ontario

She'll always be there for you.
She'll always be there for you.

My mom, Leticia, is the most kind and generous person I have ever known in my life.  My mom was born and lived in a rural area; she lived on a farm. She's an important person in my life, meaning that she's always there for me; she's my hero.

She always inspires me to be a kind, caring, and honest person. She's always helping others.  For example, she always donates money to the sick and poor; she's generous and kind. Also she will give people rides to where they want to go, and she visits the old and the sick; that's being kind. She inspires me to never give up, and you have to keep on going even in the hard times. Basically, you need to have determination and perseverance. That way, you can become a successful person; my mom was able to reach that point because she always worked hard and that's what amazes me. Additionally, she always inspires me to not put myself down when I'm having hard times that I can't handle myself. Finally, she inspires me to risk myself; meaning that to help others even if it means to have you get hurt. One time, my mom saw a bunch of teenagers hitting another teenager. My mom was brave enough to go there and stop them; she saved that teenager! My mom inspires me to be a strong person; I want to be just like her. She inspires me to be a successful, strong, and a kind person.

My mom is my hero because she's always there for me, my family and other people. In other words, she puts people before herself and always helps them out all the time! That makes her generous because she gives up her time to be there for someone. She's always there when I need help with my homework and projects. Sometimes she's even worried for how I can make my project be creative! She always wants my schoolwork and my grades to be as good as possible; in fact, she's always worrying about me doing well in school. Also, she is always there to talk to me when I'm sad, and she always ends up cheering me up because of her wise words. Furthermore, she will always take me to the doctor to buy medicine (with her own money), and make tea whenever I'm sick. She always entertains me by telling me funny and scary stories when I had the chicken pox. She's always there to help me out. My mom was taught to do all of this from her parents, and now she is passing it down to me.

My mom was a person who liked and enjoyed school; in fact, she studied and worked hard to get into a 4 year college in Mexico!!! Also, she woke up at 4:00 in the morning, so she could catch two buses to get to school on time!!! Her parents couldn't take her to school because they were too busy working. Imagine how stressful that would be!!! She always got there on time, and she didn't like it when her friends messed around in class. She knew when it was time to laugh and when it was time to take things seriously. Additionally, she loved reading and doing book reports and her favorite book was "El Nino Maltreated." In her house, everyone helped out a lot, and her chores were to: milk the cows, wash the dishes, feed the chickens, and help cook, plant, harvest, and mop. My mom spent about 1/3 of her day studying when she was done with her chores; she really liked to read! Besides reading, studying, and helping out in the family, she liked to go swimming in a nearby lake on her free time. My mom has 4 sisters and 5 brothers; she has a large family!!! When she was 2-5 years old, she loved to have her cousins over and plays dolls for hours and hours and not gets bored!!!! My mom was a person who was clean and didn't like to get her clothes dirty, but she really liked to go to the stores, parks to shop and play games with her family.

The great characteristics my mom has that makes her a hero are: determination, bravery, and kindness.  She has determination for never giving up and to become a successful person.  She has bravery so she can risk herself to help other people.  Finally, she has kindness so she can be there for someone.

My mom is the best mom anyone could ever have. She's a good example to others, and it amazes me how she's been kind, honest, and brave throughout her life!