Lyndon B. Johnson

by John from Austin

Lyndon Baines Johnson (http://www.whitehousehistory.org/)

Many people think a hero is someone who is on the news everyday or is recognized throughout the whole world. My hero is someone who made fantastic decisions throughout his life and during his presidency. He freed many and changed many lives, and the world is a better place because of him. My hero is the 36th President of the United States and my great grandfather; he is Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Lyndon Johnson was a big part of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He also signed the Civil Rights Act, which took several years to complete. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is several pieces of paper that many famous people signed like Martin Luther King, Jr. The Act was created so that African Americans could have their rights and be treated equally in the United States of America. But still, many white people did not like the Civil Rights movement. They treated African Americans and many other minorities unfairly. But minorities got their rights with the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Lyndon Johnson passed more legislation in his lifetime than any other President. He was most proud of the Civil Rights legislation.

<a href=http://www1.cuny.edu/portal_ur/content/voting_cal/photos/lyndon_baines.jpg>LBJ signing the Civil Rights Act</a>
LBJ signing the Civil Rights Act

Lyndon Johnson had a passion for youth and always loved to be around kids. Lyndon Johnson taught in a poor school where he helped a group of underprivileged Hispanics. He gave 75% of his salary to help his school pay for equipment that benefited the children. He always helped people in need.

Lyndon Johnson was brave and carried on even through the hardest times. He had seven heart attacks in his life. But despite his poor health, his passion for others kept him holding on and living longer. Lyndon Johnson had poor eating habits and he smoked. He tried to stop, but he just could not. This led to an early and untimely death at the age of 64.

Lyndon Johnson was born on a farm in Stonewall, Texas on August 27, 1908. Lyndon, as a child, was very poor and went to a one-room schoolhouse where he always kept a slingshot in his desk. He earned a teaching degree from Texas State Teachers College, now Texas State University. Lyndon met Lady Bird Johnson and asked her to marry him all in the same day. They had a wedding four months later. While he was running for President he had his daughter, Luci, campaign for him when she was only sixteen years old. Later in Lyndon’s life, he would bring his 13-month-old grandson, Lyn, into his meetings at the White House. He also had a car that was half boat and half car. Lyndon’s dog, Yuki, would bark the “National Anthem” while he would sing.

Lyndon Baines Johnson was a great man and made fantastic decisions in his lifetime and during his Presidency. I am proud to have Lyndon Baines Johnson as my hero as well as my great grandfather!

Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum - Information on LBJ's life and presidency
LBJ for Kids - Find out more about the Civil Rights Movement.
Civil Rights/Voting Act
The White House - Read another biography of former President LBJ.