Kris Agboado

by Annie Merkley

"Awake Voltarians Awake, Shallot beds are weary and tired, Educational standards have fallen, Technological ideologies are wanting.Awake Voltarians to take back your gifted mantle of education, Awake Voltarians awake"..excerpt from poem by Kris Agboado
Grace Adusu at Meet Me There, Dream Big Ghana ( (Annie Merkley))
Sometimes life takes you by the hand and leads you exactly where you need to go. Sometimes life comes in the form of a friendly 15-year-old girl. A girl that quite literally took me by the hand to proudly show me her beloved school and introduce me to the dedicated director whom she held dear.

I was out for a walk by myself taking in the serenity of the small fishing and farming villages of Dzita and Agbladomi in the Volta region of Ghana. The stunning stretch of land is situated about 75 miles from the West African nation's capital city, Accra. I was staying at Meet Me There, a non-profit lodge positioned on a picturesque coastal lagoon. It is the epitome of paradise, complete with sandy banks and palm trees swaying in the warm Sub-Saharan African wind.

Meet Me There is partnered with a non-profit organization (NGO) named Dream Big Ghana started by U.K. based Dougal Croudace. The aim is to work with local communities to improve education and sanitation conditions. Dream Big Ghana helps place volunteers in schools and has built over 30 eco compost toilets-each toilet benefits 20 or so people. This is a massive help in villages where very few people had access to toilets prior. The toilets in addition to bettering poor levels of health also provide a high quality fertilizer.

I was taking photos when a young woman called out to me, "Hey! Where are you going? I want to walk with you!" I had a fraction of a second of hesitance, as I was contented in my solitude, however Grace Adusu is the kind of kid that has excitement for life just exuding off of her. Her smile and inquisitive eyes were impossible to say no to.

Woman watering crops on the way to the school ( (Annie Merkley))
Adusu was a perfect tour guide as we walked along the one paved road that hugged the coastline through her village. I asked about what plants are growing, and how life is for her in this gorgeous, yet impoverished part of the world. She was highly intelligent and curious about what education was like in the U.S. Adusu was eagerly waiting to find out if she had gotten into secondary school. Secondary schools or high schools in Ghana are highly competitive boarding schools that students have to apply and be accepted to - much like the University process in the U.S.

Adusu led me off the main road down a sandy footpath, through a family's compound made of concrete and thatched palm leaves. They smiled and offered the polite African salutation of, "You are welcome." On we went through farm fields as women playfully posed for photos while watering their crops with buckets.

Kris Agdoado founder, director and teacher  ( (Annie Merkley))
Kris Agdoado founder, director and teacher ( (Annie Merkley))
When we reached the school I was introduced to director Kris Agboado who readily invited me in and chatted with me. Agboado is originally from Agbladomi and graduated from Accra Polytechnic University in '77 with a degree in mechanical engineering. He went to work in Nigeria and Italy, and after 20 years of time abroad came home to find a huge lack of quality in education in the Volta region. With his work in engineering he was aware of the important role that computer knowledge plays in increasing job opportunities. He felt compelled to help the schools of his native land.

Agboado stated proudly that he was the first person in Ghana to teach computer skills to secondary and primary students. He originally started a part-time program for secondary students in '98 with Kris Computer Training Center in Anloga, Ghana - a neighboring town in which his school, Kris Gleeson International School, is now located. The original program was an optional continuing education class. The training center was dedicated to reducing ignorance and introducing "computer facilitated learning methodologies into early childhood development education."

His program was a huge success. Agboado's students were excelling and testing at much higher levels than of those at the government schools. He decided to take his role in education a step further by opening a school of his own in 2004. The initial funding came entirely from Agboado's savings. He purchased computers, rented land, and put everything he had into the opening of his private school. His devotion to his students radiates from his very core.

"I love children," Agboado said with a heartwarming smile. "I feel teaching is something that if you have the talent in you, and you feel you have knowledge to share, you always feel happy when you are doing that."

After having disputes with landowners and having to move locations twice, Agboado has found a permanent home for his school with the help of benefactor Gina Gleeson. Gleeson is an Irish woman who came to volunteer at Agboado's school in February 2012 through Dream Big Ghana, with accommodation provided at Meet Me There. Before coming to Ghana, she raised £800 to donate to the school. She thought the money would go toward books and computers but, upon arrival, she realized what the school really needed was a deposit for land.

End of school day at Kris Glesson International ( (Annie Merkley))
Gleeson was compelled by Agboado's spirit, she said, "He was quite inspiring. He's very passionate about the school. You could see that he loved the students, he loved the school and he was really coming from a place of heart." Gleeson went on to start a crowd funding campaign. With the help of friends, family, and international assistance she was able to gather sufficient funds to purchase the land. She also garnered additional grant money to help build the school. Dream Big Ghana stepped in to construct a concrete building and a compost toilet.

Agboado's vision of having a school of his own now has somewhere to settle in and grow roots. In order to pay homage to Gleeson for her help, he named the new rendition Kris Gleeson International School. The paramount accomplishment of the fruits of their labor is visible in the cheerful faces of the children. Just like Grace Adusu, they are all extraordinarily proud of their school. Agboado, aside from offering a higher level of education than the government schools, also charges less. Children whose parents couldn't afford the tuition of around 30 U.S. dollars per semester, per student, can now pay Agboado about half as much. He said even though he is poor he'd rather every child get an education.

Primary students in an overcrowded classroom ( (Annie Merkley))
After my serendipitous encounter with Adusu guiding me to her school, I visited the Kris Gleeson International School a second time. I was invited into the classrooms. I saw courteous students hungry to learn in overcrowded thatched classrooms. I shared the message of the MY HERO Project with a group of older students. Had them reflect upon what the definition of a hero is to them, and to recognize the heroes in their community. From school director, founder and teacher Agboado, to contributors Gleeson, and Croudace of Dream Big Ghana - the children have many examples of heroism to look up to.

In the community times are hard. The rotation of crops to keep the land fertile is a burgeoning concept, so harvests are diminished. The deep-sea fishing trawlers are scooping up fish in unsustainable proportions and little is leftover for the close to shore boats to catch. Agboado's brow crinkled with concern as he described these hardships to me. His fears for the fate of life in his village fuels his encouragement for his students to stay with their schooling. He is instilling the children with aspirations and building confidence in them. He is doing everything he can to help create a better future. Agboado said, "Without education, there is no hope."

Annie Merkley is a freelance journalist on an around the world trip for 2015 and writing about the inspiring people she meets along the way.