Koroglu

by Azad from Baku

(Epic of Koroglu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Koroglu))

My hero is Koroglu. His name means "son of the blind man".  His father was blind.  Koroglu is an epic hero of the people struggled against unjust rulers (like Robin Hood).  It was around the 11th century AD.  One of the legends describes him as the son of a stableman who was under the service of the chieftain of the town.  One day the chieftain wanted to give good fillies to the Sultan (dictatorship) as a present.  The Chieftain didn't know enough about horses and, without advice from the stableman, he presented the Sultan with a famished animal.  When he found out about it, he ordered the poor worker to be blinded. His son gains his nickname.

(A monument to Koroglu)
(A monument to Koroglu)

The mare, which he names Kirat ( gray horse), grows up with him and turns into an animal of legendary stature and strength.  One day a stableman saw righteous of God in his dream.  He tells him that soon the water of the river Araz will flow briefly as a kind of thick foam.  If somebody drinks that foam he will be cured of any physical problems.  The stableman goes with Koroglu to the shore of the river but his son drinks the foam before he does.  This miracle can cure only one man, so his father loses his chance to see again; and dies a few days later, ordering his son to avenge him.

After his father's death, Koroglu takes up arms against the Chieftain.  He has only a few followers.  He raids and plunders his former master's property and hands it to poor people.  Koroglu realizes that even if he succeeds in bringing down the Chieftain, he won't be able to bring back his father. He disbands his followers and fades into obscurity.

I read some books about Koroglu and we studied poems, ballads and legends at school. He did what he could.  I live near the park Koroglu where the monument stands.  I often walk there.

Wikipedia - The epic of Koroglu.

I'm in the 8th grade. My favourite subject is history. We also study Azerbaijan history. I know a lot about our national heroes.