Jason Wu

by Yu Chun Su from NNKIEH in Tainan

The trend always changes, you don't need to chase fashion. Instead, we can find the most unique clothing on general people. If you just be yourself, you can find your own style.
Jason Wu stands by the dress he designed. (Google Picture)

Jason Wu was born in Dahu Township, Yunlin County on 1982/9/27. When he was only five, he talked to his mother about his dream: to be a gown designer. Since then, he has played with Barbie dolls rather than cars. He also asked his mother to bring him to the street where wedding dress stores were located every weekend. When he saw a special gown or one he liked, he drew them. He begged his mother to let him learn how to make paper clay. To everybody's surprise, he got the paper clay professional certificate from Japan when he was only 14.

the design Jasan Wu drew (Google picture)

Because of Wu's special interest, his mother felt the education system in Taiwan wasn't a good fit for him so she decided to bring Wu to Canada to study when Wu was 9. After he graduated from senior high school, he went to New York Parsons The New School for Design to study. During his studies, he participated in the Barbie dolls design competition in Europe and won the championship. Before he was eighteen, he became the creative director at Integrity Toys. Now, he is famous for not only the dolls he designed but also for gowns. Recently, he is popular with people, because he designed the gown which Michelle wore on Obama's inauguration.

I think the reason I adore him is his persistence for what he really likes and how he strives to realize his dream. He had set up his goal by the time he was only 5. At that time, he must have thought about what he had to do to be a successful gown designer. No pain, no gain, and he tried hard to learn what a designer has to learn. With his passion for designing and his hard work, he proved his excellent ability at the competition. Also, he made "Jason Wu" a household name.

After learning Wu's story, I am trying to adjust my attitude on everything, especially on the big exam which decided what university I'll attend in the future. I must use more time on school works rather than computer games or social websites. And I will try to stay healthy. Also, I will concentrate on what teachers are saying during class as it is a good way to learn well. Persisting on anything which is important to you is the only way to be successful. If I fail, I will change my methods and try again. Never give up, That's the way it is. I believe if I make the same efforts as Jason Wu, I'll succeed one day!

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Yu Chun Su's much-adored hero, Jason Wu.