Jackie Robinson

by Hector from Ontario

"I'm not concerned with you liking or disliking me, all I ask is for you to respect me as another human being" - Jackie Robinson
 ( http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/tag/jackie-robinson/)

The first African American to play Major League Baseball in the modern era and then who inspired many other African Americans to play Major League Baseball was Jackie Robinson. He was the youngest out of five children. Six months after his birth, his dad left his mom for another woman. His mom had raised five children on her own, so they had to move. When he was young he was drafted into the army.

Jackie Robinson inspires me because when I think about what he has been through, and yet he still became the first African American to break the color barrier; it makes me feel like I can do anything and it doesn't matter how hard life gets.

Jackie Robinson was always a hard working person or else he wouldn't have made it to the Major Leagues. He was determined because, without his dad to encourage him, he had to get through life with his mom and siblings. Jackie Robinson was courageous because, even if people didn't like him because of his race, he wasn't afraid to do what he loved.

Jackie Robinson inspires me to be a better person and also not to be afraid to express myself. He also inspires me because I think I can become anything I want to be like a doctor, lawyer, or an archaeologist. I hope one day I can inspire as many people as Jackie Robinson. He inspires me to do my best in school and try my best at everything I do.

The Jackie Robinson Foundation - is a national, not-for-profit organization founded in 1973 as a vehicle to perpetuate the memory of Jackie Robinson through the advancement of higher education among underserved populations.