John Sevier

by Makayla from Hixson, Tennessee

John Sevier, Tennessee Hero

John Xavier (Sevier) was born to French Huguenot parents in Harrison, Rockingham county, VA on Sept. 23, 1745. He went to common schools and attended the Academy at Fredericksburg, Virginia. He moved with his brothers to North Carolina in 1773. At 17 he married Sarah Hawkins and raised a family. He fought in the American Revolution and there is a small statue of him in Washington DC near the founding fathers of our country. He fought in the Battle of King's Mountain in 1780. John was very active in his frontier community. He participated in a settlers' revolt against North Carolina. He formed a state of Franklin in 1784. John was a great leader and he served as governor of Franklin which later became Tennessee.

John was a woodsman, frontiersman, and politician. He fought the British, the Cherokee, and the Creeks. He fought to get Tennessee admitted as a state. Sevierville, Tennessee is named for him.

John Sevier demonstrated the characteristics of a hero by working hard for his family and community. He fought against what he thought was wrong. He protected his family and community. He was a great leader. He was well liked by members of his community.

Tennessee History - History of TN and its people
Biography - biographies famous people