James K. Polk

by Asher & Jacob from Hixson, Tennessee

James Knox Polk, Tennessee Hero

James K. Polk was born on November 2, 1795 in North Carolina. When he was 11 he moved to Columbia, Tennessee. As a child he was very sick. His father did not make him work on the farm like his brother but had him work on his education. He was a brilliant student at Bradley Academy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He studied Latin, Greek, Math, and Reading.

James K Polk went to the University of North Carolina and graduated in 1818. He began studying law. In 1820 Polk began his own law firm. In 1823 he was elected to the state legislature. Two years later he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives where he stayed until 1839. Polk married Sarah Childress of Murfreesboro. She was 21-years old and was his greatest friend. James K. Polk helped expand our country. He was a famous president. His home is in Columbia, Tennessee.

James K. Polk died on June 15, 1849. He displayed characteristics of a hero by becoming very intelligent, a great negotiator, and fighting for what he thought was in the best interest of his country.

Tennessee History - History of TN and its people