Jorge Muñoz

by Jeovanni from Omaha

Jorge Munoz Cooking with his mom
Jorge Munoz Cooking with his mom

In my opinion a hero is a person that helps, supports and worries about people or things. Someone that has the courage to do something very special and unique, that other people normally don’t do. “I’ll help anyone who needs to eat. Just line up.” Would you spend time on your break, money, and even make your house storage to feed over 100 homeless people? Jorge Munoz is a school bus driver. That is his first work, when he finishes his first job he goes homes and prepares for his second job, which is to prepare food to deliver at the corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street in Jackson Heights.

Jorge Munoz was born in 1965 in Colombia. His father died in an accident; soon Jorge Munoz and his mother immigrated to New York to look for work to support their family in Colombia. Soon they received legal residency. Now he serves food at his second job. He spends half of his salary cooking food with his family and preparing to deliver it. Jorge Munoz has done this since 2004 and now he estimates he has served about 70,000 meals. At first there were only Hispanic people surrounding his white truck; now there are Chinese, Ethiopians, South Asians, Egyptians, black and white Americans and a British man who lost his job. “I thank God for touching that man’s heart,” said one of them.

Jorge Munoz Giving out hot meals at Queens (google)

There was a time where Jorge saw people throwing away food and he asked them if he could have the food instead of throwing it away. This is how Jorge Munoz started delivering hot meals since 2004. He says that the most important thing that inspired him to do this is that his mom taught him to share since he was a child. Everybody that lives with him helps him out to cook. “This is not a house anymore, it’s storage,” Jorge Munoz says.

This was one of my goals in life: to help people out by giving them food or something else, but this person is already doing it and I am proud that this person had worried about homeless, but this doesn’t mean I have to stop my dream. In fact this inspires me to help him in the future.

Jorge Muñoz - CNN Heroes