Ilan Ramon

by Omer from Lod

Ilan Ramon (by NASA) (http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-107/images/high/KSC-02PP-0490.jpg)

To me, a hero is someone who makes a change. A hero understands that the repercussions of his actions may be drastic and meaningful, and knows how to act in order to benefit the world. He cares not about himself, but about others. A true hero, is someone who is willing to make sacrifices in order to change the world for the better.

The hero I chose to write about was the first Israeli astronaut, Ilan Ramon. Ramon was born in a central city called Ramat-Gan, in June 1954. His parents were both Holocaust survivors. His mother had survived the Nazi death camp of Auschwitz and both of them had worked very hard to ensure that he would be raised in a strong Jewish homeland. Later, his family moved to the southern city of Beer-Sheva, where in 1972 he finished his high school studies. In the same year, he was recruited to the Israeli Air Force and served as a pilot. During his 20 year long service, he led and participated in dozens of complex operational missions and received a ribbon of excellence for participating in 3 wars. He kept achieving honorable ranks and leading military projects until he was called upon by Israel and the United States to take part in a space mission. In his personal life, Ramon was a husband and a father to 4 children. His mother gave him birth after escaping the Holocaust and settling in Israel.

I believe that Ilan Ramon deserves to be called a hero, mainly thanks to his participation in the space flight aboard the space shuttle Colombia in January of 2003. As an astronaut on this flight, he conducted research that was sent with him from Israeli and American universities. By that, he significantly donated to our understanding of different phenomena occurring outside of earth. Ilan understood the significance of his mission not only as a scientist, but also as a Jew. He took with him items that represent Israeli society to use and show the world. Among them, were the flag of Israel , symbols of important places in Israel, a bible which had survived the Holocaust and other religious symbols. He was one of the captains of the spaceship, and acted responsibly and bravely during the perilous journey. Tragically, during the landing, while returning back to the earth's atmosphere, the space shuttle failed and burned down. Ilan was killed in this accident.

Ilan knew how risky his mission was. However, he felt a commitment to the Israeli society which chose him for the mission. He was ready to sacrifice himself in order to fulfill his destiny and to assist mankind and the Israeli people. I believe that this man, who committed dangerous missions as a pilot in order to defend his country's citizens, who didn't hesitate to participate in a space exploration when given the opportunity, who respectfully represented Israel in the international scene, is definitely a hero. I feel proud to be represented by Ilan and the significant legacy of heroism that he left behind.