Helen Keller

by Ria from Tipp City

My hero is Helen Keller. Helen Keller was born in a small town called Tuscumbia, Alabama on an estate called Ivy Green. Her birthday was on June 27th 1880, and her parents were Kate Adams Keller and Colonel Arthur Keller. Theirs was a house full of words; Helen's dad was the editor of the local newspaper The North Alabamian. Helen had one sister, 5 years younger than her, named Mildred. She also had one brother named Philips and two step brothers named James and Simpson.

But silence fell on this house on February 1882, when 19-month old Helen lost her ability to hear and see. When Helen grew up she went to the Perkins Institute for the Blind.

The reason I think Helen Keller is a hero is because she had to go through a lot of work to learn to read and write. And still being blind and deaf she published 13 books.

When I grow up I hope I am as smart and successful as Helen Keller