Hernando De Soto

by Kathryn & Brandy from Hixson, Tennessee

Hernando De Soto, Tennessee Hero

Hernando De Soto was born sometime in 1496/97 in Badojoz, Spain. As a child his parents wanted him to become a lawyer. He learned his older brother was to inherit all the property so he decided to become an explorer. He left in 1514 to explore the Indies. He became a famous explorer and soldier for Spain. His exploration of the Southeast and Southwest was very difficult for Native Americans. Hernando De Soto was just after their gold and treasures.

Despite his terrible treatment of the Native Peoples, his exploration made it possible for the southern and southwest states to become known. Hernando De Soto was found dead on May 20, 1542 near the banks of the Mississippi River.

We don't like the way he treated the Native Americans and only consider him a hero because of his determination, his commitment to a goal, and the bravery he exhibited to explore unknown lands.

Biography - Biography of famous people
Tennessee History - History of Tennessee