Wednesday, April 18th, 2012
Associated Press

INVENTIONS GO ON DISPLAY AT GENEVA FAIR
by JOHN HEILPRIN
Associated Press

Marco Pagnini of Italy presents his invention, a suspender for umbrellas, an accessory for carrying an opened umbrella without using one's hands, seen at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. 789 exhibitors from around the world are presenting around 1000 products hoping to catch the eye at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, which runs from April 18-22. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

GENEVA (AP) - A handsfree umbrella, parachutes for airplanes and other quirky inventions went on display Wednesday at the opening of the world's biggest fair for new gadgets.

Even the ribbon-cutting was done by a humanoid robot.

Yung-Chi Lin of Taipei, China presents his invention, protective equipment for high pollutant or highly toxic jobs, seen at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. 789 exhibitors from around the world are presenting around 1000 products hoping to catch the eye at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, which runs from April 18-22. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

A thousand inventions all had their debut in Geneva, including a robotic claw hand, a high-tech screen to play simulated golf and a ball designed to protect its user from electromagnetic waves generated by WiFi and other household devices.

Peng-Jen Chen of Taipei, China, presents his invention an Electric folding bicycle, seen at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. 789 exhibitors from around the world are presenting around 1000 products hoping to catch the eye at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, which runs from April 18-22. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

Television, radio and microwaves all use electromagnetic waves that vary according to wavelength, energy and frequency.

Jaques Surbeck of Geneva said the ball aims to improve health. "This one works in order to linearize the waves in order to allow them to be compatible with the biological experience," he said.

Ulli Boehme of Germany presents his invention, Bail rider, a new sport and leisure machine for traveling downwards, seen at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. 789 exhibitors from around the world are presenting around 1000 products hoping to catch the eye at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, which runs from April 18-22. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

Officials said 789 exhibitors from 46 countries and 60,000 visitors are expected at the fair, which runs until April 22. "We can hardly believe this given the cost of the Swiss franc and the economic situation throughout the world," said the fair's president, Jean-Luc Vincent.

Yu Gao of China presents her invention, an emergency landing system of multi-layer parachutes for airplanes, seen at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, April 18, 2012. 789 exhibitors from around the world are presenting around 1000 products hoping to catch the eye at the 40th International Exhibition of Inventions, which runs from April 18-22. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

An international flavor and the draw of the unexpected appealed to visitors.

"There are many funny inventions, and I recognize that people from many different countries are here," said visitor Christine Epiney.

Written by JOHN HEILPRIN
Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Keystone, Martial Trezzini

Geneva Arts Fair The Geneva Arts Fair will showcase over 150 artists from around the country

Geneva - Festivals & Events Life in Geneva is a celebration! And no time is it more evident than during the many festivals and events that bring our streets alive throughout the year

The MY HERO Project Read a hero story about a "True Pioneer", Michael E. Debakey

The MY HERO Art Gallery Nikola Tesla - Inventor by Dr. Ljubo Vujovic

More Featured AP_Story Heroes