Sir Gawain

by Andrew from W. St. Paul

"Lord, hear well what I mean and let this match be mine."
The Great Sir Gawain (csis.pace.edu)
The Great Sir Gawain (csis.pace.edu)

One of the definitions of the word “Epic” includes heroic, majestic, and impressively great Some definitions for the word “Hero” include brave, noble, and admirable. Sir Gawain is all of the words listed before and more, that's why I chose Sir Gawain to write my hero essay about. In the poem of Sir Gawain and the green knight we find our hero faced with a quest of amazing proportions. To me, Sir Gawain is more than a character; he shows that you can make mistakes and still be able to show your heroism. That is why I enjoy Sir Gawain's heroism, because of its uniqueness.

One of Sir Gawain's traits I find most admirable is his Chivalry. He has his heart set on only one, he has his heart set on the holy mother Mary. In the poem we learn that he has a picture of her on the inside of his shield. Being such a gentlemen is a good trait; even when the lady of the castle tried to have her way with him, he stayed chivalrous and didn't Shun her away but didn't let her win. To me respect is very important, no matter what the situation.

Another trait of Sir Gawain's I enjoy is his honor. He stepped up to the Green Knight when the knight challenged his uncle, King Arthur, in his own castle. After being tricked by the knight and knowing he was to be slain he still went out looking for the Green Chapel. If that's not honorable, then I wouldn't be able to tell you what is. The way he didn't disrespect the lady of the castle [which turns out to be the Green Chapel] where he was resting before he fought the Green Knight, was a truly honorable act.

There was one thing about Sir Gawain that I found more compelling than the other epic heroes. At the end of the great Sir Gawain's poem, he gives up his faith in the Lord by wearing a green sash [belt] which the lady of the castle says will protect him. Even though Sir Gawain made this mistake, it does not mean he is not a hero anymore; it just shows how human he is. Sir Gawain will always be a hero to me. Humans make mistakes; I know I made my share and I'm positive others have made their share too.

I can't think of anyone else better then Sir Gawain to think of as a role model. The way Sir Gawain handles himself in any situation is an amazing thing to read. I hope that Sir Gawain's poem will always be taught in classes everywhere because it's one story that gets to the heart in one way or another.

Sir Gawain - for some general information.