Georgi Zhukov

by Nadya from Kurgan

A Military Hero

Georgy Zhukov

"Where you find Zhukov, you find victory"

My hero is Georgy Konstantinovich  Zhukov. He is a great Russian military leader. He is known as the 'Victory Marshall.'

He was born in central Russia into a poor peasant family. Zhukov took part in WWI. He was a decisive and brave soldier. Georgy Zhukov joined the Red Army in 1918. He took part in the Russian Civil War as a troop commandeer. He also studied at a military school.

In 1939 Zhukov led a battle against Japanese invaders in Mongolia. Within a few days the Japaneses troops were defeated.

In 1941 he led the defense of Moscow. He also led almost all great battles of WWII: the Battle of Moscow, the Battle of Stalingrad, the Battle of Kursk, the Battle of Leningrad, the Berlin operation.

Zhukov died in 1974 and was buried on the Red Square next to the Kremlin wall.

Dwight Eisenhower said:"The war in Europe has been won and to no man does the United Nations owe a greater debt than to Marshal Zhukov".