Saint Francis of Assisi

by Marcus J. from Colorado Springs

"Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received, only what you have given; a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage". -- Saint Francis of Assisi
Saint Francis, the Patron Saint of Animals (http://faith32.livejournal.com/109200.html)

Saint Francis of Assisi was the patron saint of animals. Unlike many other saints, he was very rich as a child and as such, he didn't start life thinking about helping others.  His father and mother were borderline atheist, which was shocking for the time period.  As such, he wasn't taught much religion, but rather business, math, science, and Latin. As a child, instead of going to church and prayer, he had many parties and adventures, living carelessly and freely.  Instead of focusing on helping others, he wanted self-fulfillment and glory.  Instead of wanting to be a a person of the people, he wanted to be a noble.  When Assisi (his home country) and Perugia went to war, Francis joined the army and proved he was a formidable soldier in the battle of Assisi.  However, in the same battle, he lost his battalion and was captured by the Perugian Army.  After a year in a cell, he was ransomed to his father.  Even after this, he still wanted glory and fame over holiness.  

Assisi (http://www.scientificpsychic.com/alpha/travel/italy/assisi.html)

When the army called for knights for the Fourth Crusade, he gladly volunteered, even after being a prisoner of war for a year, hoping to gain glory and riches on the journey. As he was riding towards the Middle East, he had a dream in which God told him his view on life was wrong, and to go back to Assisi.  As he returned home, he was ridiculed by the people who had claimed to be his friends, even his father.  Throughout the course of  two years, God tested him again and again and again, each test seemingly impossible.  At an old church in San Damiano, he heard Jesus of Nazareth, who said "Repair my Church".  Francis, assuming that the voice meant the very building he was in, borrowed money and supplies from his father and started repairing the church.  His father was angry that the money given to Francis went to the church.  Enraged by this, he accused his son of "cowardice" and "theft" and had Francis publicly tried for theft, and demanded that Francis give up his right to his inheritance. The bishop, a long time friend of Francis, told him not to worry, that God would provide.  After hearing this, plus upon realizing his father's lack of religion, he took of all his clothes, except the undergarment, and said "Pietro Bernardone is no longer my father. From now on I can say with complete freedom, 'Our Father who art in heaven.'" (www.catholic.org).

Saint Francis
Saint Francis

During Francis' life, the Christian Church was growing richer and richer, and the people who were in charge of the church where growing greedier and greedier. This is the Church that God meant for Francis to fix, but Francis continued fixing the physical church at San Damiano.  He begged for stones, supplies and fixed the church by hand.  He never wanted his old, adventurous lifestyle back because he was finding fulfillment in the church and could follow the Gospel.  He began to teach others about respecting nature, following the bible, and living the way God wants you to. One of the most miraculous stories about Saint Francis is when a wolf was killing villagers. Just as the villagers were about to kill the wolf, Saint Francis intervened, talking to the wolf.  After that the townspeople fed the wolf, and the wolf protected the village.

To be a saint, you have to complete miracles during your lifetime that other people have witnessed and can testify to.  You also have to live according to the Bible which many say Saint Francis definitely did.  Saint Francis taught people how to be kind to animals, how to live in a way pleasing to God, and how to be good people.  This is why Saint Francis is my hero.     

Catholic Online - helps you study the Catholic religion.
Biography.com - teaches you about the lives of famous people.
Saint Francis - MY HERO story by Claudia Herrera Hudson