Enoch

by Endra from Surabaya

The perfect man in the Old Testament

Enoch is a man who lived in the Old Testament period. He was taken up into heaven by God while he was living in the world, because he pleased God during his life. There has been no other person taken up into heaven while he or she was living in the world. In the New Testament, Jesus is the only one who was taken up or who went up into heaven. Jesus is the Lord, but Enoch was an ordinary person. So Enoch is the most perfect man I have ever known.

God took Enoch<br> Illustrated by Gerard Hoet (1648-1733)<>http://www.mythfolklore.net
God took Enoch
 Illustrated by Gerard Hoet (1648-1733)<>http://www.mythfolklore.net

It was a great pleasure if someone had a chance to be taken up into the heavens by God while he or she was living in the world. Many times I think how can Enoch live a life that pleased God everytime.

DEAD SEA SCROLLS<BR>Exhibit at the Library of Congress, Washington, DC
DEAD SEA SCROLLS
Exhibit at the Library of Congress, Washington, DC

English Translation of Enoch (Hanokh) - According to the biblical narrative (Genesis 5:21-24), Enoch lived only 365 years (far less than the other patriarchs in the period before the Flood). Enoch "walked with God; then he was no more for God took him."
Dead Sea Scrolls
The Ancient Library of Qumran and Modern Scholarship
- an Exhibit at the Library of Congress, Washington, DC

Reference

Milik, Jazef. T., ed The Books of Enoch: Aramaic Fragments of Qumran Cave 4 (Oxford, 1976) Printed book. General Collections, Library of Congress.

View the painting and description of Enoch on artist Abigail Sarah Bagraim's web site.