Dolly Parton

by Hailey & Cayden from Hixson, Tennessee

Dolly Parton, Tennessee Hero

Dolly Parton was born Dolly Rebecca Parton on January 19th 1946 in Sevierville, Tennessee. Her family was large and very poor. She was the fourth child out of twelve. Her grandfather was a preacher and she joined him singing at church events as a very young child. She became well known in the area and people loved her singing. She loved to sing and music became very important to her. After she graduated from high school in 1964 she left and moved to Nashville to begin her singing career.

Dolly married in 1966 but never had any children. She helped raise several nieces and nephews. She created Dollywood to help the poor families of eastern Tennessee. Many of her relatives work at Dollywood.

Dolly Parton is a great singer, songwriter, actress, businesswoman, and philanthropist. She has received many awards. Dolly has a foundation that sends books to children from birth until they begin kindergarten. She has donated over 2.5 million books a year for education. Dolly Parton demonstrates the characteristics of a hero because she cares about other people, she helps others, and she gives books to children to help improve education. She is very famous but keeps in touch with her humble beginnings. She never gave up on her dream.

Biography - Biography of famous people
Wikipedia - On line encyclopedia