Dolly Parton

by Noah, Emma, Ryan & Lucy from Hixson, Tennessee

Dolly Parton, Tennessee Hero

Dolly Parton was born Dolly Rebecca Parton on January 19, 1946 in Sevierville, TN. She was the fourth child out of twelve. She grew up very poor. Her grandfather was a preacher and she went with him to sing in church events. She became well known and enjoyed singing at an early age. She started singing on the local radio stations as a young child. As a singer her favorite song is My Coat of Many Colors as it reminds her of her poor early childhood. In 1964 Dolly graduated from high school and moved to Nashville to become a great singer. She married in 1966 but never had any children.

Dolly became a singer, songwriter, actress, and created a foundation to give books to children throughout Tennessee. Children received books from birth until they entered kindergarten. Each month the children received books. Education is important to Dolly Parton. She has given away more than 2.5 million books a year.

Dolly demonstrated characteristics of a hero through her love of people, she is a very caring person, and she values education. She gives back to her community and created Dolly World to help the poor people in the community where she grew up. She is a great star but is a very down to earth person.

Wikipedia - On line encyclopedia