Davy Crockett

by Caleb & Cole from Hixson, Tennessee

Davy Crockett, Tennessee Hero

David Crockett was born in Greene County, Tennessee in 1786. As a young boy he learned how to hunt, fish, and trap. He also learned how to survive in the woods. Davy became a famous hunter, soldier, and politician. He served under Andrew Jackson in the Creek War 1813-1814. He was active on the western frontier of Tennessee. He became known as a humorist and an expert shot. His humor helped him become elected to the legislature. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives from Tennessee in 1827-1831 and 1833-1835.

Davy Crockett joined with the Texan forces in 1836 to fight for freedom at the Alamo. He died there on March 6, 1836. Characteristics that my hero demonstrated in their life were that he was an honest, hard working, dedicated soldier and politician. He fought for his country for freedom. He was a skilled woodsman who was skilled in hunting, fishing and trapping.