Davy Crockett

by Melissa from Hixson, Tennessee

Davy Crockett Tennessee Hero

David Crockett was born on August 17, 1786 in Greene County, Tennessee. His early childhood was hard. His family was poor and he had to hunt for his food. His father sent him to school, but he got in trouble and ran away.

I think Davy Crockett was a very interesting person and demonstrated the characteristics of a hero because he worked hard, fought for his country and helped other people.

Some interesting things I learned about him was that:
• He Killed 105 Bears in Less Than a Year
• He Wore a Wide-Brimmed Brown Felt Hat – Not a Coonskin Cap
• He was the Best Shot in Tennessee
• There are Many Books, Songs, TV Shows, and Movies Written About His Life.
• His Death at the Alamo Made Him a Legend.

Davy Crockett's major life accomplishments were that he was a Tennessee Frontiersman, a Colonel in the Tennessee Militia, and he served his country as a Tennessee State Legislator and a representative in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Although he had served with Andrew Jackson, he did not like his decisions on the Indian Removal Act.

Davy is a hero because he fought in the Texas Revolution and died March 6, 1836 at the Alamo for what he thought was right for freedom and for Texas. The story of his valiant death inspires people to this day to continue to fight against all odds.

Biography - Biography of famous people
Tennessee History - History of Tennessee

Books used during research of my project:
The Picture Book of Davy Crockett, David A. Adler
Davy Crockett, Elaine Marie Alphin
We The People – Davy Crockett, Dan Zadra
Davy Crockett – Young Pioneer, Laurence Santrey
Great Lives: The American Frontier, Patricia Calvert