Davy Crockett

by Caleb, Cole, Logan & Dylon from Hixson, Tennessee

Davy Crockett, Tennessee Hero

David Crockett was born August 17, 1786 in Greene County, Tennessee. He was the fifth child out of seven. His education was learning how to farm, hunt, trap, and fish. Davy and his family worked hard on the frontier running a tavern near Knoxville to make a living. His father died when he was 12. He had little formal education. He learned to read people and had a great sense of humor.

Davy was a woodsman and a guide. He married Polly Findley. Polly Crockett fell ill and died. He later remarried Elizabeth Patton and moved near the Reelfoot Lake area of Tennessee.

In the War of 1812, he fought with Andrew Jackson’s Tennessee militia. Davy was a scout. He fought against the Creeks at Horseshoe Bend and against the British in New Orleans. He also be became interested in politics and fought at the Alamo. He died in Texas on March 6, 1836.

Davy Crockett demonstrated hero characteristics by saving people's lives and fighting for freedom. He worked hard and was a very honest man. He learned how to live off the land and take care of his family.

Tennessee History - History of TN and its people