Poor Children of Africa

by Gal from Trnovo, Slovenia

My heroes are the poor children of Africa. Some of them can live with only a fist of rice a day, if they are lucky to get it – yet it`s funny we throw away so much food, we could literally feed all the poor children. They have only a glass of water a day >>if they have it<<. But we waste too much water with bathing instead of showering, and water the plants with new water instead with the used one. People don`t care but plants do. When I think of them I remember the words to describe them: strong, unstoppable, fighting for life, inventive, brave. When I think of that I appreciate food and water more. They are my heroes because they so appreciate life itself. We don’t even appreciate school – which they value and desire. They love learning new things. They are very intelligent because they have to be in order to survive build.

We may study in the school every day but I wonder if we can survive in the wild. They are very brave, because they are not afraid of the cruel life. My second reason why they are my heroes is because they manage to enjoy life, appreciate it and fight for it…sometimes even the richest, well taken care of people can`t manage to do that.

Gal, Slovenia, Primary school Trnovo.