Rosalynn Carter

by Katherine from Columbia

Rosalynn Carter
Rosalynn Carter
White House: Hagar / Public domain via Wikimedia

Rosalynn Carter was born in Plains, Georgia on August 18, 1927. She was the oldest out of four children. Her father died of Leukemia when she was young. She helped her mother make dresses and helped raise her three siblings. Even though times were rough she enrolled in high school and graduated with honors. In 1946 she married Jimmy Carter, who later became President of the United States. She began doing a lot of public service in the White House.

While her husband was President, she visited many Latin American countries. She became his special representative. She focused on the performing arts and began a lifelong interest in promoting mental health. She served as the Honorary Chairperson on the President’s Commission for Mental Health. It was here that she made important connections with people who could assist in promoting her work. She then started to get into programs and fund-raising to help pursue her goal. Rosalynn knew that from her popularity of being the First Lady she could be seen as a leader for saving others.

Official White House Portrait
George Augusta / Public domain via Wikimedia

After living in the White House, Jimmy Carter and his wife went back to Georgia and set up the Carter Center in Atlanta. Founded in 1982, its purpose is to promote world peace and human rights. Mrs. Carter leads this program to promote worldwide mental health and greater access to mental healthcare. She used her previous experience in the White House to carry on these activities, after coming back to Georgia. She is also actively involved in the Habitat for Humanity Project. She raises funds and does volunteer work to build homes for the homeless and needy. This has led her to Project Interconnections. It is a public and private partnership that provides housing for the mentally ill and the homeless.

Mrs. Carter has received many awards and honors in her lifetime. Among them is the Volunteer of the Decade Award. She was given that award from the National Health Association in Georgia. The Roosevelt Living World Award from Peace Links was another award she received and she was also awarded Georgia Woman of the Year. She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, a very notable award and America’s highest civilian honor. Finally, she was recognized by the National Women’s Hall of Fame for her work and principles.

Rosalynn Carter was 80 in August 2007. I have a lot of heroes like tennis stars and designers and even cooks. I picked her because she took the time to help the needy and the homeless. I look up to her because I feel that it takes a lot of work to set up programs. She is also famous because, in winning all of those important medals for freedom, helping the mentally ill, and in working for peace, she has been recognized her work. She is an inspiration for those who want to be a member of the Habitat for Humanity Project. She is a great woman, who will for remembered for helping others.

Rosalynn Carter (http://www.ejm.lsc.gov/EJMIssue2/notes/rcarter.jpg)
Former President Jimmy Carter and Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter
U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Palovich / public domain via Flickr

Rosalynn Carter
- White House Biography
Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving - promotes the mental health and well-being of individuals, families, and professional caregivers.
Habitat for Humanity International - is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and homelessness worldwide and to making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action.
The Carter Center - Founded in 1982 by former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, the Atlanta-based Center has helped to improve the quality of life for people in more than 65 countries.