Constantin Lacatusu

by Gabriel Galbeaza, class 11th A from "Al. Papiu Ilarian" Highschool Dej, Romania

Constantin Lacatusu (www.google.ro )
Constantin Lacatusu (www.google.ro )

Constantin Lacatusu My hero is Constantin Lacatusu, the first Romanian who reached the Everest peak, situated in the Himalaya Mountains. This man is an example for all the people who love the mountains. This determined and brave man, a mountain lover, managed to climb the peaks the mountains on all the continents, using his skills, ambition, abilities, faith and determination. Only a courageous and skilled man can achieve what he did, considering that up there on the mountain, any mistake can be fatal. Such kind of people look up to the high peaks thinking and hoping that one day they could succeed in reaching there or at least they will try, maybe even die for their dream. All those people start for their journey, but never know for sure if they will ever return. Lacatusu, nicknamed "Ticu" had a failure attempt in conquering Everest in 1994, trying a route never done before, but he said it hadn't meant to be successful, yet, he came back the next year, 1995, with a new team, being the only Romanian from that team, and also the one who reached the peak. When Ticu managed to reach there, there had been only 70 mountaineers who had succeeded in getting there before him. During the climbing, the team had to cope with the bad weather, the strong winds and the wilderness of the mountain, the lack of oxygen, but Ticu continued the expedition with heroism, so that his dream to come true. After he finished this achievement, he initiated the project of conquering the 7 peaks of the continents, which he managed to accomplish as well. For me, a mountain lover and a person fond of the mountain sports, Ticu is a model to follow in the real meaning of the world, and will always be my hero. He gives me the power to believe in my own strength, the courage to go beyond my limits and the hope to make my dreams come true.