Chris Gardner

by Kiara from San Diego

"It's ok to FAIL it's not ok to Quit" (Gardner). This quote helped Chris Gardner become the man he is today. Gardner works as a stockbroker, writer and motivational speaker. He also helps out with nonprofit organizations such as National Education Foundation and the National Fatherhood Initiative. With the struggles he had faced in his earlier years, Gardner shares the story on his life of success. He encourages people every day to go out and fulfill their dreams. Gardner showed the world no matter what problems someone is facing; they can acheive with perseverance. Gardner has the strength, inspiration and passion of a hero.

The strength Chris Gardner had in himself, made him the hard working man he is today. Chris Gardner had the strength to live through a family with abuse. "He had a harrowing childhood, with an absentee father and a violently abusive stepfather, Freddie Triplett. Gardner credits his mother, despite her misdeeds, with transmitting to him the 'spiritual genetics' that guided him through the traumas of his upbringing."(Contemporary Black Biography). Although Gardner had been abused, he did not let that affect his future in a bad way. He still tried his best knowing things would get better. Chris Gardner had faced more hardships when he got older. "He was glad to take custody of his son. He had vowed, during his own troubled childhood, never to leave his own children without a father. Gardner and his toddler son slept some nights at a cheap hotel, under his office desk, in the park, or--on a couple of occasions--behind a locked bathroom door in a Bay Area Rapid Transit station. He told his colleagues nothing about his situation"(Contemporary Black Biography).Not only did Gardner have the strength to take care of his own child, but he even took care of him during the time they were both homeless. Gardner had the strength to carry on with getting trained for his position that would support him and his child so that they could live a better life. Chris Gardner had proven the strength that he has when he went through the hardships of abuse and homelessness.

Chris Gardner's story is inspirational. He faced many hardships to get to where he is now.

Now Chris Gardner is not only a stockbroker, he is also a public speaker and writer. Gardner had written an autobiography called The Pursuit of Happyness had become a best seller in 2006. Later it was turned into a movie starring Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith (Contemporary Black Biography).Gardner's book is inspiring and heartwarming. The book shows that you can achieve whatever goal you are trying to reach no matter what situation you are in. Gardner also likes to share his story with the public himself. "His own experience conveys powerful messages about breaking destructive cycles, commitment to parenting, and achieving goals through perseverance. He told Jet that he disdains the phrase 'motivational speaking': 'I see it as a matter of shared empowerment because I'm getting as much from the audiences as I am giving to them, and one of the things I've learned is men are in so much pain.'" (Contemporary Black Biography).Gardner moves the audience with his story so they know they have the chance to achieve whatever they desire no matter the circumstances. Gardner tries to encourage the people that they need to try their best in order to succeed in their lives. Chris Gardner inspires people by sharing his story to others and telling them that they can conquer their dreams.

Chris Gardner became successful because not only is he good at his job but he has passion for it too. When Gardner was trying to get his job as a stock broker he was chosen between other people. What he had that the others did not was his passion for his job. "'It's passion,' he told me. 'Passion is everything. In fact, you've got to be borderline fanatical about what you do.' Gardner says he was fortunate to find something he truly loved, something where he couldn't wait for the sun to rise so he could do it again. His advice to entrepreneurs and those seeking a career change? 'Be bold enough to find the one thing that you are passionate about. It might not be what you were trained to do. But be bold enough to do the one thing. Nobody needs to dig it but you.'"Gardner has passion for his job which is why he is so great at what he does. Gardner found an activity that is enjoyable and he looks forward to everyday rather than a job he would dread to go through.When Gardner was trying to get his job as a stock broker he was chosen between other people. "Passion is not teachable. As a communications coach, I can help clients craft and deliver a powerful story, but I can't create passion. But it's passion that separates the electrifying presenters from the average ones. I'm absolutely convinced of it."(Bloomberg Businessweek). Gardner tells Bloomberg Buisnessweek passion is what makes a person successful. He states that passion is what separates the true success form people who would rather settle for less. He proves that anything is possible if you work hard for what you are doing and none else has to want it but yourself. Chris Gardner shows that to be great, you can not only be good at what you do, but you have to have the passion for it 

Gardner teaches people that you are capable of whatever you set your mind to. Gardner once said, "I was homeless, but I wasn't hopeless. I knew a better day was coming." Even when he had become homeless with his son he never lost hope. Staying strong and believing in himself helped Gardner overcome his obstacles.  He stated, "It's not just my story. It's the story of a lot of people who grew up and took a lot of crap - and decided, 'I'm going the other way.'" Teaching people that he knows you may have issues, but you decide if you want to live a better life. Gardner teaches that with the strength inspiration and passion, you can dream the world. Chris Gardner had helped me realize that it is ok to fall down, but it is never acceptable to give up.