Bernadette

by Aisha from London, Ontario

“Never stop trying, no matter what happens, because you can succeed in anything that you do”

My mom is my hero. My mom goes to school full time and also works full time. Bernadette goes to the University of Western Ontario in the school of social work .When she was a little kid she went to public school. She also went to Fanshawe College for like four or five years. She is in placement at a jail. (Don’t worry she is not in jail.) A placement is something that you do when you are in a school program in university and it’s like your job but you don’t get paid for it. Bernadette’s favourite thing to do is to hang out and play around with my little brother and I. Some of Bernadette’s challenges are doing her papers while other people asking her to look or read over their papers.

To me my mom is my hero because of what she does for my brother and I. Bernadette does not just do this for my brother and I but also for everyone else. Bernadette shows a great deal of integrity and always does what she thinks is right not what other people think is right, no matter if what she does is something that other people agree with. Also Bernadette shows a lot of empathy to people that she does not even know. If she sees some stranger on the street hurt she would go over and ask them if they were ok. For example one time Bernadette was walking down the street with my little brother and I and saw teenage boys walking down the street with a glass bottle and they were done with whatever that they had in the glass bottle and they decided to throw the glass bottle on the ground and Bernadette told them to go pick it up so that nobody would step on it. This is where Bernadette showed integrity and empathy at the same time.

Bernadette has a lot to say about everything in the world. Even when she is in her classes at the university she still will add her own opinion, but after her class is done so she is not interrupting the class. In this Bernadette is showing that she cares for other people's education by not interrupting the class. Even when Bernadette is teaching her own class, if someone says something that she doesn’t agree with she will wait until after she is done teaching and will just ask the person to stay a couple minutes or so to explain why that person is thinking that way and why Bernadette is thinking that way.

Bernadette has no car and still does all of these amazing things. It amazes me that she has never given up. I guess that’s why Bernadette always says “never stop trying no matter what you do because you can succeed in anything that you do”. To me all of this makes up a hero and this is specifically what Bernadette does. To me, although Bernadette is in school, she is working full time and taking care of two very hyper children (most of the time) and having lots of pets. This is why Bernadette is my hero.