SCIENCE HERO:
ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL
by Jamie from New Jersey

Gerald W. Johnson once explained, “Heroes are created by popular demand, sometimes out of the scantiest materials.” There are different kinds of heroes such as children, animals, famous people, and adults. A hero can be a role model especially for young children. The deeds they do make a big difference in people’s lives and then they inspire other people to do the same thing. In Scotland, Alexander Graham Bell is a hero to many.

Alexander Graham Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on March 3, 1847 and died on August 2, 1922. As a young boy, he was interested in inventing like his father and grandfather. To learn more to become a better inventor, he spent two years at Edinburgh Royal High School and Edinburgh University. He moved to London and spent four years at London University. Like his father, he became an inventor working hard on inventions to help the deaf. In 1876 he was successful in making the telephone, a device he believed could help the deaf.

At the age of 29 in Boston, Bell invented the first telephone. He worked all day and all night for months to finish it. Finally on March 10, 1876, he finished his invention. Alexander applied for a patent on February 14 of that year. A few months later, he created the Bell Telephone Company. In 1880 he received the France’s Volta Prize for $50,000 for his invention. He spent the money to establish the Volta Laboratory. After he died, he was elected to the Hall of Fame for Inventors at New York University in 1950.

Many heroes are able to have the qualities of being a dreamer, hard working, and positive. Alexander Graham Bell is one of those people. He is a dreamer because he thought of making many inventions. Bell is also hard working because of all the time he spent to finish one. He is positive because he wouldn’t give up even after frustrations. As Alexander Graham Bell once noted, “The most successful men in the end are those whose success is the result of steady accretion.”

As a result, heroes may be well known people that can be any age. They can be role models to many. Alexander Graham Bell is a hero to many including me. Many people see him as a role model because of all the things he did to help the deaf. Bell will continue to be a hero forever.

Written by Jamie from New Jersey

Alexander Graham Bell Inventor and dreamer

Alexander Graham Bell About Bell, the Inventor

Unknown. Compton's Encyclopedia. Chicago: Britannica, 1990. Volume 3 Page 153

Alexander Graham Bell: An Inventive Life
by Elizabeth MacLeod

Time For Kids: Alexander Graham Bell
by HarperCollins Childrens, John Micklos (Editor), John Micklos (With)

More Featured Science Heroes