Bedashree Choudhry

by Dhruvi Gupta and Nupoor Jain, Assam Valley School

Assam Valley School (google.com)
Assam Valley School (google.com)

A hero doesn’t necessarily have to be famous or good-looking. A hero according to us is a person whom we can look up to. A hero for us is someone who inspires us. Our hero is Bedashree, who has achieved a silver medal in the 36th National Swimming Championship in India.

She was born in Guwahati, in Assam. Her parents, Mr. Bedabrata Sinha Choudhry and Mrs. Debashree Choudhry supported her in her decision to pursue swimming. She wants to become an archaeologist and continue with swimming as well. She likes traveling and likes cooking. She enjoys studying Biology and Math as well. Apart from swimming, she desires to play squash, badminton, soccer, volleyball and basketball. She excels in studies, too. At home she enjoys spending time with her cousins and parents.

She first learned swimming when she was in grade 4 and she gives the credit to her teacher. She was motivated to swim by her teacher in school, who led her to compete in the sub-junior category in which she bagged the first position. This made her feel that she had the potential to be a swimmer.

Bedashree reads science in Grade 12 and she is also the House Captain in school. She always encourages people in the school to swim. She has taught many of us how to swim and because of her we won the swimming cup again, this year. She has leadership qualities; she always guides us and helps us in our studies. At school she broke many records and usually received first position in swimming. She is graduating from school in April 2011.

She was thrilled at being selected for the National Swimming Championships. She enjoyed the demanding training schedule for the Championship. Bedashree has gone for many other competitions conducted in many different places like Meghalaya and managed to win silver, again. She learned a lot by this experience and will try to improve her skills and aim for gold the next time she goes for a National Swimming Championship.

We admire her resilience and tenacity of purpose and her humility in spite of her achievements. We thus think that she is worthy of being our hero.