Press_Release

October 17th My Hero Salon To Focus On Access And Media

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

Contact: Wendy Milette

[email protected]
310-995-2618

OCT 17th SALON TO FOCUS ON ACCESS AND MEDIA

LOS ANGELES, CA – 10/2/13 – Using media and technology to make the world a better place is a keystone of The MY HERO Project's mission. This month, the MY HERO Salon on Oct. 17th welcomes filmmakers who use media to help improve the lives of people with access and functional needs. 

The evening will include three short films that deal with issues of access. 
Screenshot from <i>Running Blind</i>, directed by Ryan Suffern
Screenshot from Running Blind, directed by Ryan Suffern

- Running Blind, a documentary directed by Ryan Suffern and produced by Frank Marshall, tells the story of a marathon runner who runs a series of 12 marathons blindfolded to raise money for research on Choroideremia, a genetic disease that is threatening his eyesight.

Kenza Jared, Director of <i>Travelers</i>
Kenza Jared, Director of Travelers

- First time director Kenza Kadmiry will screen her short film Travelers. Kadmiry was left quadriplegic four years ago, when a texting driver ran into her bike. The film tells the story of a young woman facing an uncertain fate, who gains strength and inspiration with help from a stranger.

Jo-Ann Dean from <i>Run With Me</i>
Jo-Ann Dean from Run With Me

- Filmmakers Marc Bovee and Jo-Ann Dean will screen a short film, Run With Me to introduce new technology that offers hearing-impaired viewers a better movie-viewing experience. In true salon tradition, an open discussion will be enjoyed between the audience and filmmakers.

The event is part of MY HERO's Salon series, which features a gathering dedicated to a unique theme. A light reception will follow the screenings, allowing guests and presenters to continue the dialogue.

The October Salon takes place Thursday, October 17, 2013, from 7:30 – 9:30 pm

Herb Alpert Educational Village - New Roads School

Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice

2nd floor Leadership Center

3131 Olympic Blvd. Santa Monica, CA 90404

The MY HERO Project is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to celebrating the world's heroes. Established in1995, as an alternative to mainstream media, MY HERO has grown into a global, educational resource that hosts the world's largest archive of hero stories (www.myhero.com). 

The CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE is the home to twelve nonprofit partners, selected by New Visions, who share the communal goal of providing educational programming for at-risk youth in Los Angeles. For more information, please visit http://myhero.com/CEJ