Abraham Lincoln

by Ben: 4th Grade Saddle River Day School USA

Portait of Abraham Lincoln (http//www.bartleby.com/124/Lincoln.gif)

My hero was born in a Kentucky log cabin on February 12th 1809. When Abraham Lincoln was 6 he became very good at reading. When Abraham was 9 or 10 he started chopping wood to help his parents repair their house from storms. When Abraham was not chopping wood, he kept reading. By the end of each week he almost read two books with 300 pages. When Abraham was 21 he moved to New Salem, Illinois.

When Abraham Lincoln moved to Illinois he got a job as a tea maker. One time Abraham Lincoln walked almost 10 miles to give a lady her tea back. She forgot the tea and Abraham was nice and would not keep it for himself. Abraham Lincoln was known as honest Abe. When Abraham was almost thirty five he was elected for state legislator.

In 1860 Abraham Lincoln became president. Abraham Lincoln was brave and everyone in the United States looked up to him. Abraham was kind because he stopped slavery. The south was mad at Abraham because he stopped slavery. Abraham Lincoln made many speeches including the Gettysburg Address. On January 1st 1863, Abraham released the Emancipation Proclamation.

In the Emancipation Proclamation it said that the slaves would be free forever. The slaves could not go on rebel territory which was the South's territory because the South was against Abraham Lincoln stopping slavery. The Emancipation Proclamation allowed African Americans to be armed in the service of the United States. Abraham Lincoln led the country through the Civil War.

When Abraham Lincoln was saying the Gettysburg Address it was at a National Soldiers cemetery in Pennsylvania. After Abraham Lincoln said the Gettysburg Address the National Soldiers Cemetery was opened. A famous quote from the Gettysburg Address was "Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a New Nation." Edward Everett spoke first, he mentioned that there was a three-day battle three months before in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. At the Gettysburg Address there were more than 15,000 people.

On November 19th the Gettysburg Address was said. Abraham's speech said how the soldiers were brave and they left their family to fight for the North. Abraham was assassinated on April 15th. I think Abraham was a hero because he stopped slavery, he put others before himself and he was brave.