Amelia Earhart

by Alexis from San Diego

Amelia Earhart (Wikipedia)
Amelia Earhart (Wikipedia)

Earhart was born on July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas. She lived with her parents during the summers in Kansas City and with her grandparents during the winters in Atchison. She was a tomboy as a young girl. She climbed trees. She built a roller coaster.

She was a nurse’s aid for Canadian soldiers. She dropped out of Medical School at Columbia University and lived with her family in California. She did a 10 minute airplane ride with Frank Hawks at a Long Beach, California air show. That inspired her to become a pilot. Her first flight instructor was Neta Snook.

Her major accomplishments were a Women’s Altitude Record of 14,000 feet in 1926, being the first Woman to fly Across the Atlantic Ocean in 1928, getting the Women’s Speed Record for 100 kilometers in 1930, being the first woman to fly solo across Atlantic in 1932, first solo flyer to transit from Honolulu to Oakland, CA in 1935, making a flight around the world, and being first to fly from the Red Sea to India non-stop in 1937.

Emilia Earhart maybe crashed at sea. Maybe she was captured by the Japanese, or maybe she was a castaway on an uninhabited island. They may have found her bones on Nikumaroro Island in the Western Pacific Ocean.