Friday, October 7th, 2011
Associated Press

THREE WOMEN'S RIGHTS ADVOCATES
TO SHARE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE
by Associated Press

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia (AP/Photo Abbas Dulleh)

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf waves at her home in the city of Monrovia, Liberia, Friday, Oct 7, 2011. Africa's first democratically elected female president, a Liberian campaigner against rape and a woman who stood up to Yemen's autocratic regime won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of the importance of women's rights in the spread of global peace.

The 10 million kronor ($1.5 million) award was split three ways between Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, women's rights activist Leymah Gbowee from the same African country and democracy activist Tawakkul Karman of Yemen - the first Arab woman to win the prize.

Tawakkul Karman of Yemen (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)

Yemeni activist Tawakkul Karman reacts after the announcement of the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize in Sanaa, Yemen, Friday, Oct. 7, 2011.

The 2011 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded Friday to Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkul Karman of Yemen for their work on women's rights.

Leymah Gbowee of Liberia (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Leymah Gbowee, from Liberia, one of the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize winners, receives a congratulatory phone call, Friday, Oct. 7, 2011, in New York.

Gbowee campaigned against the use of rape as a weapon in her country's brutal civil war.

Written by Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Abbas Dulleh, Christian Lutz, Hani Mohammed, Richard Drew

Wikipedia For more about Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.

Wikipedia For more about Yemeni activist Tawakkul Karman.

Wikipedia For more about Leymah Gbowee of Liberia.

The Nobel Peace Prize For information about The Nobel Peace Prize and its winners.

The MY HERO Project For the heroic story of another African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, Wangari Maathai.

More Featured AP Story Heroes

More Featured Freedom Heroes

.