Friday, March 21st, 2011
Associated Press

RESCUED!
WOMAN AND GRANDSON FOUND
NINE DAYS AFTER TSUNAMI
by Tomoko A. Hosaka, Associated Press

Rescue workers prepare to carry Jin Abe, 16, to a hospital in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, after he and his grandmother Sumi, 80, were rescued Sunday, March 20, 2011. They were rescued when Jin Abe is able to pull himself out of their flattened two-story home Sunday, nine days after the devastating earthquake and tsunami. (AP Photo/Mainichi Shimbun, Takashi Morita)

TOKYO (AP) An 80-year-old woman and her teenage grandson were rescued Sunday in northeastern Japan when the youth was able to pull himself out of their flattened two-story house nine days after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.

Jin Abe, 16, was seen calling out for help from the roof of the collapsed home in the hard-hit city of Ishinomaki, according to the Miyagi Prefectural Police. Like other homes in northeastern Japan, they had lost electricity and telephone service in the March 11 earthquake.

A helicopter rescues two survivors, an 80-year-old woman and her teenage grandson, from a house destroyed by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, Sunday, March 20, 2011. They were rescued in northeastern Japan when the youth is able to pull himself out of their flattened two-story house, nine days after the devastating earthquake and tsunami. Both are conscious but weak, having survived on the food they had in their refrigerator. (AP Photo/Kyodo News)

He led them inside to his 80-year-old grandmother, Sumi Abe. Both were conscious but weak, and had survived on the food they had in their refrigerator, said Shizuo Kawamura of the Ishinomaki police department.

The woman could not get out of the house because she has trouble walking, and the teenager, who was suffering from a low body temperature, had been unable until Sunday to pull himself from the wreckage, Kawamura told The Associated Press by telephone.

They were found by local police who realized they couldn't get the woman out of the collapsed house and had to call other rescuers, he said.

Sumi Abe, 80, reacts after she was rescued from her destroyed home in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, Sunday, March 20, 2011. Sumi Abe and her grandson Jin, 16, were rescued when the teenager is able to pull himself out of their flattened two-story home Sunday, nine days after the devastating earthquake and tsunami. (AP Photo/Asahi Shimbun, Kota Takeda)

National broadcaster NHK showed video of the stunned but coherent woman being placed on a stretcher. She was able to give her name and told rescuers she had been in the house since it collapsed in the quake. When asked if she was hurt, she said no.

The police said they were trying to learn if there had been other relatives living in the house and their whereabouts.

NHK showed them being taken by helicopter to a hospital. Kawamura said that while the rescue was a reason for joy, the police had "too many other victims to find to take the time to celebrate."

Written by Tomoko A. Hosaka, Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Asahi Shimbun, Kota Takeda, Mainichi Shimbun, Takashi Morita, Kyodo News

UNICEF Donate to Japan relief

American Red Cross To support Japanese earthquake and tsunami relief efforts

Doctors Without Borders / Medicins Sans Frontieres Working to assist people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe.

Direct Relief International Provides medical assistance to improve the quality of life for people affected by poverty, disaster, and civil unrest at home and throughout the world.

Mercy Corps Continues to deliver emergency supplies including tents, blankets, instant rice and fresh produce to families evacuated from homes in the tsunami-devastated city of Kesennuma.

More Featured AP Story Heroes

.