"Save women from ignorance!"

POET HERO:
EMILY DICKINSON
by Tatiana from South Saint Paul

image courtesy of "Erin's Emily Dickinson Page"

Emily Dickinson was an American poet. She was born on December 10th, 1830, in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she lived her whole life. She wrote poems for adults and children. Here is one of her more famous poems, untitled as all of them were:

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm - That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of Me.

"Emily lived a quiet life and wrote great poems!" wrote Carol Greene in her book, Emily Dickinson, American Poet. It means that she stayed in her house and wrote great poetry like no one else could write. Hardly anybody knew she wrote poetry. Her poems were discovered after her death.

Written by Tatiana from South Saint Paul

Emily Dickinson Museum The Homestead, where poet Emily Dickinson was born and lived most of her life, and The Evergreens, home of the poet’s brother and his family, share three beautiful acres of the original Dickinson property in the center of Amherst, Massachusetts

Poetryfoundation.org is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in American culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience.

Erin's Emily Dickinson Page! I think that this site has helpful facts about Emily Dickinson.

Emily Dickinson Electronic Archives

Emily Dickinson Lexicon The Emily Dickinson Lexicon Website

MORE RELATED LINKS

Modern American Poetry Emily Dickinson at Modern American Poetry

Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
by Emily Dickinson, Thomas H. Johnson (Editor)

Emily Dickinson''s Letters to the World
by Jeanette Winter, Emily Dickinson

More Featured Poet Heroes

.