Deborah Sampson

by Amelia from St.Paul

Deborah Sampson was born on December 17, 1760 in Plymton, Massechusetts. She had seven brothers and sisters. Later her father went to sea and drowned. then her mother could not take care of her five oldest children. They were sent to live with neighbors and relatives. Deborah Was fifth oldest so she was sent to live with her cousin Ruth Fuller in a town called Middleborough.

Cousin Fuller was nice and jolly. She taught Deborah how to read, write, and sew. She gave Deborah her own feather bed and treated her like her own child. But three years later, Cousin Fullrer became ill. Three days later she died.

Then Deborah was sent to live with an old widow called Mistress Thatcher. The Mistress made her do hard house work. Mistress Thatcherwas so old she had to be fed by hand so every meal Deborah would sit by her and feed her. Later in the year, a kind minister sent the Mistress to live with relatives.

Then Deborah was sent to live with Benjaman Thomas and his family. Deborah was not allowed to go to school so, she read the boys school books and kept a journal.

At age 18 she left the Thomas's and became a house to house weaver.During the summer she taought summer school.

But Miss Sampson was was feeling the need to help her country more. So in 1781 in the spring she enlisted in the Contenential army in the Revolutionary war. She said her name was Robert Shertliff, age 17.

Deborah slept in a tent with six other men. The beds were hay with kind of like a burlap covering.

The food was awful and there was barely enough for everyone. Beef was usely the meat they ate but lamb was served once in a while.They also had stewed veggitables and sometimes fruite

One day Deborah was on a scouting party for food with some other soldiers. They spotted a cave filled with delicous food. It was food for the British. And soon the British did come storming in and shooting at them. Deborah had gotten shot in her head and leg. When the British left, assuming she was dead, a soldier came and offered to take her to a hospital."Leave me here, I'm going to die,"she said.But he did not leave her. He carried her to the nearest hospital.

In 1783 she was discovered by catching a very terrible fever and falling in acoma. She was later discovered by Dr.Binney, who promised to keep her secret.

Later she told the General her secret and was discharged from the war with a exellent record of service and much respect.

Miss Sampson later married a man named Benjiman Ganette and Together they had three children and adopted one.

She was a lecturer of days in her the war until she died in 1827.

Deborah Sampson - a life story of Deborah Sampson
Soldier of the American Revolution - cool pictures and fun facts
Deborah Sampson : War heroine - Detailed pictures and a bibliography