Drew C. Brees

by Michael from Lake Charles

“It’s a great source of strength for us and our team....It’s a Super Bowl for our city and our fans...There is no organization or city that deserves it more." Drew Brees

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. They can be celebrities, family members, friends, or just about anyone. Some are even athletes. I happen to admire the quarterback of the world champion New Orleans Saints. I chose Andrew "Drew" Christopher Brees as my hero because he loves football just like me. He is 30 years old, was born January 15, 1979, in Dallas Texas, and is 6 feet tall. I am less than half his age and 12 inches shorter than him. Drew currently holds a record of 5,069 passing yards in one season.

Drew and I like the same sports: baseball, basketball, but mostly football. Drew Brees was named after the star of the Dallas Cowboys' wide out in the 1970's and 1980's, Drew Pearson. Drew Brees went to Purdue, but little did he know that the college was one of the Big Ten.

In 2001, Drew was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in a second round NFL draft pick. Brees played in his first professional game on November 4, 2001, against the Kansas City Chiefs. Drew won the starting position over Doug Flutie but later was replaced by Flutie. In 2004, Brees had an impressive year; he was awarded the NFL comeback of the year award. Because of this outstanding season, in 2005 he was selected to play in the Pro Bowl.

On March 14, 2006, Brees signed a 6-year $60 million dollar contract with the New Orleans Saints A.K.A. Who Dat Nation. The Saints made it to the playoffs, but it was too cold so the Saints lost to the Bears 39-14. It is now 2010; the Saints defeated the Colts after a tough fight because of their awesome effort. Drew got the MVP trophy because he "Believed" and "Finished Strong." Drew Brees is my hero, so as he continues to do this, I will, too.

The Brees Dream Foundation - Visit this website to learn about the generosity of Drew Brees