Roberto Clemente

by Brandon from USA

Do you know what a hero is? A hero does a lot of good things. They are brave, determined, and love taking care of people. My hero is Roberto Clemente. He was born on August 18,1934 in Barrio San Anton in Carolina, Puerto Rico. He died December 31, 1972. He is a wonderful role model.

Roberto was a good person. He was the youngest in his family. Roberto was good at sports and was excellent at track. He earned a lot of medals for his races. Roberto was not just good at track, he was also excellent in baseball. He always wanted to become a professional baseball player.

Since Roberto was good in baseball, he signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers and then went to play with the Montreal Royals. In 1954 Roberto was number one draft pick for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He did very well. Everyone thought he was the best right fielder. He was awarded twelve Golden Glove Awards, and won National League Batting Champ four times. Roberto said, "I am convinced that God wanted me to be a baseball player. I was born to play baseball."

Roberto died in a plane crash. He was on his way to Nicaragua because an earthquake hit and he wanted to help the people of that area. He was bringing medicine and supplies. The plane crashed because there was too much weight from supplies. He died December 31, 1972.

Roberto was a really good person. He wanted to do everything he was capable of doing. He is a true hero. He was determined, compassionate and cared about people. He cared more about other people than himself. Even though he was not rich, he gave food and money to people who needed it. He was very responsible and kept his word. He made a big difference in a lot of people's lives.

In conclusion, Roberto Clemente made a big difference in my life because he was determined. Now, because of him, I am determined too. He was responsible for how I am. He cared about other people and helped them and now I am caring for people and help them. He is a good role model to me and a wonderful hero.