Press_Release

Poetry and Jazz Salon

Herb Alpert Educational Village in Santa Monica

Contact: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE [email protected]
949.376.5964

APRIL THIRD THURSDAY SALON TO FEATURE POETRY AND JAZZ

LOS ANGELES, CA – 4/10/13 - Since the 17th century, the intellectually curious have gathered to participate in salons, informal get-togethers where guests share knowledge, information and ideas in hopes of bettering their lives through conversation. This month, The MY HERO Project helps carry on the salon tradition with a celebration of poetry and jazz at the Capshaw-Speilberg Center for Educational Justice in Santa Monica.

The salon, which takes place Thursday, April 18, 2013, represents a combination of National Poetry 
and Jazz Appreciation Month. Guests will enjoy a celebration of poetry, music and art from 7:00-9:00 pm.

Paul Cummins
Paul Cummins

Paul Cummins, writer, scholar and founder of The NEW VISIONS Foundation 
will share some of his own poetry at the salon. 

David Milch
David Milch

Award winning television writer and producer David Milch will read poems 
by his personal hero, and former teacher, Robert Penn Warren. 

Michael Saucier and Stuart Pearlman
Michael Saucier and Stuart Pearlman

The event also features short films and live jazz entertainment by 
Stu Pearlman and Friends including Dana Williams and rapper Strange Love.

Victoria Murphy, curator of the MY HERO Virtual Gallery, will showcase works of art from Robert Shetterly, Sergio Benenson, Tod Anderson and Ron Kovic.

The MY HERO Project is one of ten nonprofit organizations invited to become part of the Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice housed on the New Roads School campus in The Herb Alpert Educational Village, a collaborative community with a focus on education in the 21st century.

The event is part of MY HERO's Salon series that take place on the third Thursday of each month in the Leadership Center in the Herb Alpert Educational Village in Santa Monica. These family-friendly events are open to the public and each will have a theme that echoes the Capshaw-Spielberg Center's commitment to art and educational justice.

The CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE is the home to twelve nonprofit partners, selected by New Visions, who share the communal goal of providing educational programming for at-risk youth in Los Angeles. For more information, please visit http://myhero.com/CEJ

To RSVP, please email [email protected].

Herb Alpert Education Village – New Roads
The Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Educational Justice
Leadership Center, 2nd floor
3131 Olympic Boulevard #203
Santa Monica, CA 90404