Hank Aaron

by Floyd from Ansonia, Connecticut

Hank Aaron is an outstanding role model because he broke the home run record he never thought he'd come close to. He surpassed Babe Ruth for the home run record with seven-hundred-fifteen homeruns. In any case, it shows you that if you keep on trying you can accomplish anything. Hank Aaron is a good role model because he was an African American who, in the begining, was not that good of a player, yet he broke the home run record. All he did was try, try, try and didn't stop until he got there. He hit a total of 755 homeruns in his twenty three year career.

Hank was born in the small town of Mobile, Alabama on Feb. 5, 1934. He started his career with the Milwaukee Braves. The team moved to Georgia in 1966 and became the Atlanta Braves. On April 13, 1954 Aaron made his major league debut and went 0-5 against the Cincinnati Reds' Joe Nuxhall. Two days later, he got his first major league hit, a single off Cardinals pitcher Vic Raschi. Aaron responded by leading the league with 44 home runs, a career high 132 RBI, a batting average of .322 and his only National League Most Valuable Player Award. Aaron picked up his first Gold Glove and finished third in MVP voting.

Only once in his career did Hank Aaron hit three home runs in one game. On June 18, 1962, Aaron hit what was considered his longest home run, a 470 foot shot to straight-away center at the Polo Grounds in New York City. On April 19, 1963, he hit his 300th home run off the Mets' Jay Hook. He became the 3rd member of the 30-30 club behind Ken Williams and Willie Mays. Aaron hit the last home run by a Milwaukee Braves player in Milwaukee County Stadium on September 20, 1965. Aaron's 400th home run on April 20, 1966 was hit off Bob Priddy of the San Francisco Giants.

Hank Aaron was the only person to overcome the Babe's home run record. He never thought he would do it but he didn't doubt himself either. He believed in himself. It shows if you believe in yourself, all your dreams can come true. Nothing will hold you back if you believe. Like I said, try, try, and try again until you get to your goal. That's what Hank Aaron did and that's why I think Hank Aaron is a good hero for all people.

answers.com - Hank Aaron's biography
Baseball hall of fame.com - more on hank