Victoria Akinnitire

by Emmanuel from Hawthorne

Mom, the person that reminds you to brush your hair, clean your room, and stop being lazy, but you still love her right? My mom is my hero because she is someone I look up to, because throughout my life she has shown me that if you try your best you can accomplish anything you want. Like coming to America in her case.

My mom is  close to her golden years (since women don't like their age being revealed) and she was born in Nigeria. She lived a very poor life with barely any food at all and bad living conditions. She even had to live with 18 siblings. Her dad died when she was very young  so only her mom could take care of everyone.  No one in the family has been to college before, but my mom thought different. She told me how even though her siblings thought she could never do it, she never gave up. She studied and worked hard every day. 

With hard determination and faith in God my mom is now a pastor, nurse, a chemist,  and a real estate agent. And yes, she has a lot of money. She would have never thought that she could eat rice, or ride a bike, not to talk about driving a car or living in a house. She has been through a lot. If it weren't for her, I would not even be born. She's also nice and friendly and she is nice to everyone and tries not to think about the past. She always tells me and my brothers and sisters stories about running  5 miles in the rain to go to school and how bad the teachers were. She says since we have newer technology she wants us to do even better than she did in her life. She said that she did not want her kids to live the same life she did. She is awesome and a really nice person to be around. She is a good cook that creates time to cook for us every day to make sure we eat a balanced diet. Mom you are my hero. You are simply awesome.