Jose Rizal

by Victoria from New Jersey

Jose Rizal
Jose Rizal

Christopher Reeves commented, “Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.” Heroes keep on working until they accomplish their goal to make a difference in others' lives. They should have compassion, perseverance, confidence, and they should be selfless, strong, and fair. They can be either someone you know personally or famous people who are admired as role models. Jose Rizal is a famous hero in the Philippines.

Jose Rizal was born on June 19th, 1861 in Calamba, Philippines to a middle class family in the Province of Laguana. His parents were Francisco Mercado and Teodora Alonzo. Jose was also the seventh child of their eleven children. Throughout his life, Rizal fought to free the Philippines from Spain. He was known as a poet, an educator, and a journalist. He was also Asia’s first modern non-violent political leader. Jose even has his own special holiday, "Rizal Day," which is celebrated on the anniversary of his death. Jose was very smart; he mastered 23 languages, knew how to work 20 different jobs, and actually studied medicine because his mother was going blind. He later became an eye surgeon.

Rizal is most known for his political involvement. Since Spain was controlling the Philippines, he wanted to have the Filipinos rule their own country. He wanted to do that peacefully-without war or fighting. In 1892, Jose formed a civic movement called La Liga Filipina. This league spoke of social reforms through legal means, but was disbanded by the governor. Jose was declared an enemy of the state by the Spanish authorities because his writings were against the Dominican Friars. In 1892, he was exiled to the remote Philippine island of Mindanao. Then, the Katipunan, a new secret organization devoted to independence from Spain through armed revolution, named Rizal its honorary president. They used his name to attract supporters. Rizal brought attention to the Philippines.

There are many qualities that can describe every hero in the world. Some qualities that would describe Jose Rizal are being open-minded, intelligent, and hardworking. Jose really wanted to have freedom in the Philippines from Spain, so that the Filipinos did not have to be controlled by another country. He did not care about himself. He cared more about helping his country. He really wanted his country to be proud of him. Jose also was very smart. He knew how to work many jobs and had mastered 23 languages. He also helped other people who needed help. Jose was hardworking in all that he tried to accomplish. He once said, "It’s a useless life that is not concentrated to a great ideal. It’s like a stone wasted on the field without becoming a part of any edifice."

In conclusion, heroes can be personal or famous. They are helpful, open-minded, and fair. There are many different types and kinds of heroes in the world. Jose did many good deeds and tried to accomplish his goals; he wanted to free his country. He was well-known enough to even have his own special holiday which celebrates the anniversary of his death. Few people have had a leader who so entirely gave of himself as he did, and who asked so little for himself in return. He is a hero.

Jose Rizal - Biography from Wikipedia
Jose Rizal - Quote from Brainyquote
Jose Rizal - Jose Rizal Website

Unknown. Comton's Encyclopedia. Britannica, 1990. Volume 20 page 229